This upcoming June, the City of Miami Beach is voting on plans to upgrade and renovate the Miami Beach Convention Center, which is joined with the The Fillmore Miami Beach at the Jackie Gleason Theater. The legendary theater that brings a little old school charm to the beach with plenty of notable shows and concerts. Here are a couple notes as described by a group that is battling to make sure that The Fillmore stay in tact. And for that to happen, the city must go in the direction of South Beach ACE, one of the final two developers trying to win the bid for the redesign. Read the notes below…
– The Miami Beach Convention Center is going to be updated to make the aging structure more world class – South Beach ACE must win!
– In June, the City of Miami Beach is going to award the project to a developer who will design & build it
– The project is valued at approximately $1 billion and will keep Miami Beach at the forefront as a convention destination. This is important because conventions and associated visitors spend billions in our city.
– There are two developers fighting to get this massive design / build project – “South Beach ACE” and “Portman CMC” – South Beach ACE must win this bid!
– Between now and June, there will be numerous PUBLIC events whereby YOU can give feedback. The next event is on Wednesday, March 27, at 7PM at the Miami Beach Convention Center, Hall C, Flamingo Ballroom. This is followed by another PUBLIC meeting on Monday, May 13, at 6PM at the Miami Beach Convention Center, Hall C, Flamingo Ballroom.
– If this theater is demolished, no private developer will ever build another standalone concert venue in Miami Beach. Ever. It is financially unfeasible. There is no more land. Concerts and events are not 365-day occurances, so the financial risk of financing a new, frequently idle structure will be too great.
– It will be the end – FOREVER – of live rock, pop and indie music and live theater in Miami Beach. Local bars and nightclubs like LIV are not equipped to host such events, not even close.
– In the past year alone, the Fillmore Miami Beach has hosted a staggeringly diverse array of world class artists such as Lenny Kravitz, Pretty Lights, Regina Spektor, The Deftones, The XX, Jane’s Addiction, Guns & Roses, The South Beach Comedy Festival, Wilco, Kendrick Lamar, Interpol, 2 Chainz and many, many more
– These events are massive economic drivers in Miami Beach – Live Nation pays millions in rent annually, concert goers pay to park in Miami Beach parking structures, bands and crews stay in hotels, local restaurants and bars around the venue on Lincoln Road and Collins Avenue benefit from these visitors, who travel from Miami and even Palm Beach to see bands and events that have NO OTHER 2,700 PERSON CAPACITY indoor venues in which to perform. We WANT people visiting Miami Beach to attend concerts. It keeps our city cool.
– There is no other 2,700 person capacity concert or theater venue in the City Miami Beach – The Fillmore stands alone
– The theater was built in 1950 and has proudly stood on the corner of 17th & Washington Avenue for 63 years
– The theater has an incredibly rich history … it’s hosted The Dick Clark Show, The Ed Sullivan Show, the Miss USA and Miss Universe Pageants and literally thousands of concert, theater and event productions
– Only two developers remain in the running for this billion dollar contract
– One developer, Portman CMC, is proposing to DEMOLISH The Fillmore and build a new venue that PERMANENTLY houses a Cirque du Soleil production. You read that correctly. No more concerts, no more theater, only a Cirque du Soleil. This will KILL live music on Miami Beach.
– PORTMAN CMC MUST BE DEFEATED.
– Another developer, South Beach ACE, is proposing to not only preserve the building and respect the legacy of the structure, they propose to EXPAND The Fillmore to the west, creating an amphitheater which will host outdoor concerts, school programs and live theater available to all citizens.
– You can see video and presentations of both proposals here http://miamibeachfl.gov/news/scroll.aspx?id=58484 and looking for “02.27.2013: Agenda | Video of Meeting includes the Two Presentations” and “Presentations Only: Portman CMC (Parts: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 ) South Beach ACE (Parts: 1 | 2 )”
– Please attend the public events on Wednesday, March 27, at 7PM and Monday, May 13, at 6PM, both at the Miami Beach Convention Center, Hall C, Flamingo Ballroom
– Email your local government leaders and tell them you WILL NOT stand for The Fillmore Miami Beach at Jackie Gleason Theater to be demolished just because we need a new convention center.
– Please, please, please be respectful, committed and passionate about our cause, but not adversarial or mean
… Mayor Matti Herrera Bower – firstname.lastname@example.org
… Vice-Mayor Michael Gongora – email@example.com
… Commissioner Jerry Libbin – firstname.lastname@example.org
… Commissioner Jorge Exposito – email@example.com
… Commissioner Jonah Wolfson – firstname.lastname@example.org
… Commissioner Edward L. Tobin – email@example.com
… Commissioner Deede Weithorn – firstname.lastname@example.org
More Info: Click Here To Visit The Facebook Group