Among the first permanent settlers in South Florida were grocers Charles and Isabella Peacock who arrived in Coconut Grove encouraged to establish a hotel. Their hotel, built in 1883, was called Bay View House and was the first hotel on mainland Florida south of Palm Beach. Later renamed the Peacock Inn, the first community gatherings in Miami were held at Peacocks’. The establishment of a Florida East Coast Railway station near present-day Douglas Road station in the late 1890s made the once difficult-to-access lodge a popular refuge. Closing in 1902, the Peacock Inn building became the Lake Placid School until the school moved to Pompano Beach in 1925 and the inn subsequently torn down.
The city of Miami purchased the private property in 1934 for $63,500 ($0.8 million, adjusted for current inflation) and established it as the public Coconut Grove Bayfront Park, renamed in honor of the aforementioned Peacocks in 1973. Considered the Miami equivalent of the Greenwich Village neighborhood of New York, during the 1960s the park and surrounding Coconut Grove area became notable as a center for hippies and the youth counterculture, hosting several be-ins and concerts during the latter part of the decade. Nearby Dinner Key hosted a now-infamous Doors concert where lead singer Jim Morrison allegedly exposed himself in 1969.
Park amenities include a baseball field, basketball court, tennis court, playground, and skatepark. The adjacent Kenneth M. Myers Park, which hosts the Coconut Grove Sailing Club, is jointly administered by the city with Peacock Park. The Dinner Key Marina complex is located immediately along the shore of the park.
Surrounded by: MacFarlane Road, South Bayshore Drive and Grand Ave.