The 16th Annual Susan G. Komen Miami/Ft. Lauderdale Race for the CureÂ® on Saturday October 15, 2011, with the walk starting off in Bayfront Park!
The Susan G. Komen Race for the CureÂ® Series is the largest series of 5K runs/fitness walks in the world. Over the past 16 years, the Miami/Ft. Lauderdale community has raised millions of dollars to fund the fight against breast cancer through the Komen Race for the Cure. Over 100,000 people have participated in the 5K walk and run, One Mile Fun Walk and Tot Run since the first Miami/Ft. Lauderdale Komen Race for the Cure in 1995.
This unique event is designed and implemented to promote positive awareness, education and early detection of breast cancer. Up to 75 percent of the funds raised at the Race remain in Miami-Dade, Broward and Monroe counties to provide breast health research, diagnostics, screening, treatment, services and education for uninsured or under-insured women. The remaining 25 percent goes to fund national research to discover the causes of breast cancer and, ultimately, its cures.
Why we need your support:
Every step counts! Your donation provides women and men in our local community with services that have literally saved lives. You help make the following programs possible take a look at our grants page to see who received the funds you helped us raise!
* Free mammograms and diagnostics
* Medical treatment for qualified breast cancer patients who cannot afford care, including surgery, chemotherapy, and radiation
* Support services including support groups, assistance with finding financial resources, prescription refills and transportation to medical appointments
* Education about the warning signs of breast cancer, methods of early detection and the latest treatment options
* Cutting edge research to find a cure for breast cancer
There are many ways to help:
* Register online to participate in the Race; or register as a Sleep in for the Cure participant if you can’t make it that day
* Start your own fundraising page! After your register, you will be offered the opportunity to create your own fundraising page online! Develop your page, then e-mail it to your friends and family asking for their support. It’s easy – just follow the prompts.
* If you can’t register to participate, support someone who has by entering their name under the “Donate to a Participant or Team” button on the right side of the Donate page
* If you don’t know anyone participating, make a general Race donation by clicking on the “Make a Donation” button on right side of the Donate page
Make an Impact! Be a part of the 16th Annual Komen Miami/Ft. Lauderdale Race for the Cure.
More info: Click Here