Construction commenced in 1931 and the opening ceremony was held on July 1, 1933. It is the most monumental Keystone structure in South Florida.
When it opened, the building housed all Miami-area federal agencies with the exception of the Weather Service. The U.S. Postal Service vacated the building in 1976. It is currently occupied by federal courts and various federal agencies. It is contained within Federal Courthouse Square, a two-block area that includes two other courthouses.
The building was listed in the National Register of Historic Places in 1983. In 1997, it was renamed to honor David W. Dyer, a former Chief Judge of Florida’s Southern District Court, who was appointed to the Circuit Court of Appeals in 1966.
The David W. Dyer Federal Building and U.S. Courthouse is a skillful example of Mediterranean Revival architecture that combines Renaissance Revival elements with regional Florida architectural features. The building, which is faced in Keystone, is three stories in height, with the third story set above a widely projecting entablature on the north, east, and south elevations.
1928: Congress appropriates money for new federal courthouse in Miami
1930-1931: Architects Paist and Steward design building
1931-1933: Building constructed
1983: Building listed in the National Register of Historic Places
1997: Building renamed to honor Judge David W. Dyer
Location: 300 Northeast First Avenues
Architects: Phineas E. Paist and Harold D. Steward
Construction Dates: 1931-1933
Architectural Style: Mediterranean Revival
Landmark Status: Listed in the National Register of Historic Places
Primary Material: Keystone
Elaborate Classical Facade
Interior Courtyard and Galleries