The Cape Florida Light is a lighthouse on Cape Florida at the south end of Key Biscayne in Miami-Dade County, Florida. It was built in 1825 and operated, with interruptions, until 1878, when it was replaced by the Fowey Rocks lighthouse. The lighthouse was put back into use in 1978. The lighthouse marked a reef four miles (6 km) (6 km or 7 km) off-shore, and still marks the Florida Channel, the deepest natural channel into Biscayne Bay. In 1835 a major hurricane struck the island, damaging the lighthouse and the keeper’s house, and putting the island under three feet of water. The lighthouse was also attacked many times by the Seminole Indians of the area during various conflicts. In recent years, the lighthouse was restored and repainted and still stands today for tour visits and etc on Key Biscayne.